What's a cookie?
A "cookie" is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive if you agree to this and which records how you move your way around a website so that, when you revisit that website, it can present tailored options based on the information stored about your last visit. Cookies can also be used to analyse traffic and for advertising and marketing purposes.
Cookies are used by nearly all websites and do not harm your system.
We are required to obtain your consent for all non-essential cookies used on our website. You can block cookies (including essential cookies) at any time by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block essential cookies you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Cookies are either:
- Session cookies: these are only stored on your computer during your web session and are automatically deleted when you close your browser – they usually store an anonymous session ID allowing you to browse a website without having to log in to each page but they do not collect any personal data from your computer; or
- Persistent cookies: a persistent cookie is stored as a file on your computer and it remains there when you close your web browser. The cookie can be read by the website that created it when you visit that website again. We use persistent cookies for Google Analytics.
Cookies can also be categorised as follows:
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are essential to enable you to use the website effectively, such as when buying a product and / or service. Without these cookies, the services available to you on our website cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
- Performance cookies: These cookies enable us to monitor and improve the performance of our website. For example, they allow us to count visits, identify traffic sources and see which parts of the site are most popular.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make and provide enhanced features. For instance, we may be able to provide you with news or updates relevant to the services you use. They may also be used to provide services you have requested such as viewing a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect is usually anonymised.
- Targeting cookies: These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests.
- First and third party cookies: First party cookies are cookies set by our website. Third party cookies are cookies on our website that are set by a website other than our website, such as where we have adverts on our website or use Facebook pixels so that we can show you relevant content from us when you are on Facebook.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
[INSERT COOKIE TITLE]
[INSERT COOKIE NAME]
[INSERT DESCRIPTION OF THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH THE COOKIE IS USED]
Examples of purposes for which a cookie may be used:
This cookie [is essential for our site to OR enables us to]:
[(a) Estimate our audience size and usage pattern.]
[(b) Store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site and to provide you with offers that are targeted to your individual interests.]
[(c) Speed up your searches.]
[(d) Recognise you when you return to our site.]
[(f) [INSERT OTHER PURPOSES].]
These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our website. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the website. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the website and blog, where visitors have come to the website from and the pages they visited.
_ga expiry: 2 years
_gid expiry: 1 day
_gat expiry: 1 minute
This is a Mailchimp functionality cookie used to evaluate the UI/UX interaction with its platform.
This cookie is used to detect and defend when a client attempts to replay a cookie. This cookie manages the interaction with online bots and takes the appropriate actions.
This cookie is used by Akamai to optimize site security by distinguishing between humans and bots
This cookie is set by the provider Akamai Bot Manager. This cookie is used to manage the interaction with the online bots. It also helps in fraud preventions
_mcid expiry: 1 year
_abck expiry: 1 year
_ak_bmsc expiry: 2 hours
_bm_sz expiry: 4 hours
You can alter your cookie preferences at any time by clicking on the cookie icon and adjusting the sliders to 'Off'. Please refresh your page to ensure that the new settings have taken effect.
You can also control your cookie settings through your web browser.
You can opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after: see in the table for each cookie.
If you have any questions about the cookies that we use, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.